Sunday, April 30, 2006

Fish deaths, new plants and rescape of planted tank

There is a total of 4 deaths of 2 cherry barbs, 1 cardinal and 1 scarlet badis. It has been sometime my fishes died on me. One of the cherry barb got fungi attack on the eye. Quarantined it and added general aid and salt but died the next day. The smallest scarlet badis does not seem to be feeding well and isolated it in a container to properly feed it with tubifex worms but also died on the next day. The rest died before I can do anything.

I have managed to get some free plants (java fern, and unknown plants) from a Steven (Hii from Aq) and xmas moss from David (davidd from Aq) some days back. I have checked them and placed them in my holding area (shallow tank) before I use them. Below are some pictures of them in the shallow tank.

This picture shows that the tank is beside my window.

I have put most of the plants that he gave me into my planted tank just now. The tall and shorter plants given by Steven are placed on the left side of the tank. Xmas from David are on the bogwood. I also put some hortwort from Victor on the right side of the tank to try it out how it is in my tank. Below is how the rescaped tank looks like now.

I think it definitely looks better compared to the bare look previously. Still I think it needs more plants behind the bogwood and on the left side of the tank.

I have also post the picture of my office tank which I have taken.


The Singapore moss is growing well in the tank. Can also see my cherry shrimps more often now. Even with my boraras swimming above them.

I went to NA and got some mini moss back. It was cheap (to me) and I want to try to see if I can cultivate it at home. Also saw how they cultivate Singapore moss. Will try out at home too. Also went to Colourful for the first time. It is more rugged but have many different types plants in there, more than NA. NA got more aquarium accessories and fauna. The lady at NA also recommended me suitable canister filters (Ehiem 2213, Atman 600, Prime 10 and Tetra 60). May consider her recommendation, if I can get my wife to allow me to get one. The OHF pump keeps having a rattling sound. I think it needs to be replaced soon but since I got many fishes in the tank, need a filter that is able to substain the high bioload.

This picture shows the Singapore moss that I trying to get them to adapt in the water. They were previously under water for a week or so and have turned brown for some of them. Trying out NA method on them.


Also post a picture of my boraras (First batch, now look big, around the size of a medium neon tetra).


1 comment:

Diki said...

That is ok. They come and they go. That is part of nature as well.

Thanks for the compliment. This is what I can do with the FOC plants I get from forumers. Hope touch up more and also for another planted tank as well (need more low maintenance plants or wait until my moss grow enough to work their wonders in my tank). : )