Thursday, May 04, 2006

Noisy pump and minor updates

My OHF pump has been making a rattling noise that irritates me. Have not found the cause. My intention is to replace it with a canister filter that I have all along intended to get. Due to the size of the tank, there are only a few options available. Was introduced to some canister filters by the lady at NA.

- Eden 501
Can be use for tanks up to 1.5 ft. Cost less than $52. Powered at 5w and flowrate of 300L/H. Due to small size, cannot handle too much bioload, but it looks so cute. Sure a eye catcher.

- Atman 3335/F600
Flow rate is 600L/H. Have valve to control the flowrate. Cost $59.

- Tetra 60
Most expensive canister filter. Cost $140. Don't think it is worth that much.

- Ehiem classic 2213 (currently using one)
Lowest power rated (8w) with flowrate at 440L/H. Cost $80. But does not have valve to cut water for easier cleaning and heard Ben say there is no basket for it now. High in my buy list.

- Hydor Prime 10
Have valves for maintenance. Cost $80. Second in my buy list. Power rating at 10w (second lowest power consumption). Flowrate is 300L/H.

Will check it out in Malaysia for any good buys before I get one, before end of May. I got another option which is to use the Hydro Prime 20 that my wife had bought but with a cracked case. Need to find a case (hopefully around $25 the last time we asked) and the motor is still able to work. Need to test the motor at Dad's place (left there to collect dust). : P

Went to Wu Hu (Ben) today to check out the price for the canister filters. Instead, found a new fish that I can consider to keep with my boraras and cherry shrimps. It is the dwarf pencilfish (Nannostomus Marginatus). It looks cuter than boraras and similar to cherry barbs but with small patches of red on the fins and longer. Had to resist buying any so as to find out more about them before I mass buy some more fishes. More $$$ spend on fishes again. Sure get scolding from my wife. What to do, I'm always on the lookout for suitable small fishes to keep with my cherry shrimps. Just found out they like shrimplets so got to kill the idea in getting them.

The cherry shrimps are seen more often in my 2 ft planted tank now. This is not possible when my other fishes are around. Now the protein layer on the water surface is getting worse. May need to scope them out during the next water change. Does not want it to affect my light penetration to the plants. The new plants in the tank are still ok up til now. Still too early to say. Without CO2, everything grows slowly. The Singapore moss is still getting used to living in water as quite a lot turned brown. Never mind, they will recover but need to take months. : (

I have more shrimplets in my shrimp tank! Saw quite a few last week. It seems that the 2 pregnant cherries have release their eggs. Now no more pregnant cherries at the moment. Sure wish this can happen every month so I can start putting them in my 2 ft planted tank soon.

5 comments:

Diki said...

Thanks for being my first blog fan. : P

Don't know why my OHF so noisy but lazy to find the cause. Canister filter is the best option if you can afford. I still have not decided to get which one but should be Ehiem 221 or Hydor Prime 10 if I can help it. Else might use Hydor Prime 20 (got 1 but case crack. Need to get new case if motor still works. Then work on adjusting the flowrate).Will post an update on the canister filter when I get one.But not so soon. Can tell u where to buy based on the price in my blog.

For scarlet badis, they can be found in C328 or Biotope. Saw the new stock at C328. Looks like they constantly have new stock so can keep a look out if u live in the west.

Diki said...

Ehiem Ecco models are the lowest powered canister filter with reasonable flowrate (better compared to some other brands with same flowrate). But the cost is too high for me to consider for one (Think more than $200 or around there). Also need to find out what media they provide (think only round sponge) I always on budget so cannot get high end stuff for my hobby.

I would go NA to get my canister filter if I want to get one. I think Pasir Ris farms are ok and Petmart is also quite cheap for accessaries (been there once) and Rainbow near it. How big is your tank? Luckily west got some good LFS that I can visit.

Diki said...

Oh. Same size so any one I listed also can. If you intend to upgrade to 3 ft, then can consider Ehiem 2213 and Atman F600 since flowrate is higher. If you want to get the valves for Ehiem 2213, for easier maintenance, then it is not worth getting it since cost is much higher. Prime 10 is expensive in most shops but does have most features that 2213 does not have but flowrate is lower and uses 2 watt more power compared to 2213.

Now some of Rainbow's discounted items are cheap. Need to check out price before buying. Petmart is usually cheaper.

Diki said...

My blog has not been very active until now. I welcome the sharing and exchange. No problem with your "bombarding".

It sounds cheap for the Eheim Ecco 2232. I try to check out the price here. May be more than $100 instead of $200. As for the 2213, cheaper to get in Singapore. Also the 2232 not so big so may be able to take back if it is cheaper there. Any other filters sold and cheap in UK?

Diki said...

It is cheaper to get there as Singapore LFS sell at $150 for 2232. Eheim 2222 sells at $158. If u can, may want to take one back. Don't think u will regret one. : )