Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Headache issues after back from Muar and newest additions!

When I was at Muar, I went to 2 local fish farms as the LFS are not open during the weekends. I wonder why? No sales during weekends? Anyway, after going through their stuff, I still cannot find the canister filter or powerhead that I want and also fishes not cheap so did not bother to buy any. However, found a piece of lava rock which is cheaper than SG so got 1 piece. Others are too big a piece for me. Then I was given some driftwood from a cousin who found some driftwood from fallen trees. He got a few big pieces which looks very nice but not suitable for my tank (they are now kept in the container with lotus plants). My intention is to use the small pieces of driftwood for tying of moss or pelia. Will leave the lava rock as it is (should be a good hiding place for shrimplets). Also showed them my shrimps. Ah Guan was interested in the cherries and I promise him will give him some when I come over next time.

After coming back from Muar, found that there are no longer deaths of fishes in the Planted Tank 1 but found a dead pregnant cherry again. I wonder why the pregnants ones died? Would be feeding them peas soon. The eggs that I have taken from the previous dead pregnant cherry got fungi attack. All should be dead now. So I left the dead cherry in the tank to see if the eggs can be hatched (along the flow of water current to keep the eggs cool). Even other cherries do not touch the dead cherry (maybe due to pregnant with eggs so don't want to harm them). Hopefully the eggs and hatch into shrimplets and also the dead cherry don't spoil my water so fast.

Another thing is the Planted Tank 2 has quite a big patch of spot algae on the glass wall. Saw it when I came home. Maybe it is due to the light now on for 6 hrs without any intervals. Will monitor the tank for a while first and maybe use another timer for this tank if necessary. The fishes are fine in there. Well, did some water change for the 2 tanks and also cleaned the glass off the spot algae. See how the tank fares for the next few days.

The boraras in the 1 ft cube tank are able to survive in there, even though it looks a little crowded for the fishes. I have also witness something that I do not know. One evening, I found that a small insect had fell into the 1 ft cube tank and was struggling on the surface of the water. 1 or 2 boraras nip at it and when a clown killie came, it just gobble it down! I never knew that the clown killie has such a big mouth! From then on, I was thinking if I can shift the clown killies out but have not find a suitable place for them. Maybe will take them to my office (no more shrimp keeping) or maybe in my nano tank. Will decide where to put them later once my nano tank and office tank is ready. : )

Went to C328 and found a pack of 10 Bumblebee shrimp on sale for $5. Bought them and later put 3 into my Planted Tank 1 and 7 in my 1 ft cube shrimp tank. The Bumblebee shrimps require cooler water compared to cherries. Hope they can do well in my tank. They would be the trial before I plunge into keeping Crystal Red Shrimps (CRS). They are more expensive so need to make sure the bee shrimps can survive before buying them since both require the same environment to grow well. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Diki said...

Yes. Every shrimp keepers ultimate dream, right?!? Good. Depending on which starts keeping CRS first, can share our experience and I can update it on my blog! : ) I know. Cooling the water is always a problem. Unless get chiller, there is no other way, except keep smaller tanks with DIY fan (found that smaller tanks easier to cool). Maybe work along this line if interested. I may even start a 4 x 1 ft cube tank on a 2 ft stand just to maintain cool water?!? Not sure it would work or partition a 2 ft tank (got spare 1 at home). : ) Maybe ask around before try out (don't have much money to waste.