Thursday, May 18, 2006

Planted tanks update and Pellia from Wilson

Got some pellia from Wilson. This plant is known as Monosolenium tenerum. It is consider a liverwort plant and easy to take care. Previously I bought some from Wilson but did not take good care of them and they got infected with algae. Since then no shrimps to combat the problem, had to throw them away. Now with the limited stock from Wilson, I would try to grow them in my tanks again. They are different compared to moss and riccia but they are used to tie on rocks or wood and let them grow from there. An easy plant so should not have issue with them. They did not die on me the last time but I was my fault for neglecting them. Have transferred the Pellia into my shallow tank (LHS) and will look for some driftwood or rocks to tie them on and let them grow from there. This time I'm more interested in collecting small pieces of driftwood/bogwood or stones for this purpose. I think I got 2 stones in office. May use them when I come back to office.

Found that another boraras has died when I was clearing the a dead boraras in my Planted Tank 1. That totals up to 2 deaths in a day! With the algae growing on the glass and some tiger lily bubs dying, I have decided to clear the tank of some dead plants and fishes and did 30% water change as well. I have intended to reduce the lights to 6 hrs (3 hrs interval) now. Will also stopped adding liquid fertilizer for a while to see how things goes. Hortwort grows like crazy. It is a pain and it has come back to me again in such a short time. : ( Did some trimming for the hortwort and removed the excess. Planted the 2 stalks of Ludwigia repens beside the java moss covered driftwood.

Also rescaped the Planted Tank 2 to relocate the hortwort and threw the excess away. Hortwort anyone?? This rescape is to plant the hortwort beside the driftwood and cut off the excess. Too much makes the tank looks like a "jungle". Not my intention anyway.

Just found out that I got a friend who is into planted tanks and shrimps like me as well. That is you, Jimmy Sim. : ) Glad to know one more friend is in the same boat as me. Got another into fishes (bigger ones), Stephen Chew. May start a small outing to get these guys to meet and go around shopping for stuff. : ) Since all currently live at West side, can go around LFS around the west. Need to ask if they are interested first before confirm this.

No comments: