Thursday, May 11, 2006

Bad news on office tank and some minor updates: (

Went to look at my office tank this morning and found that the bigger cherry shrimp has died in the tank. : ( So now the tank is left with 1 boraras and 1 small cherry shrimp in there. I have decided to make water change weekly (for 2 weeks), hoping that the tank mates and water condition will be more stable before I add in more boraras and cherry shrimps. Also realise that someone fed quite a lot of fish food in my tank. All gone to waste (the boraras did not see it and also shrimplet did not bother it too and hopefully does not spoil my water too much. Also the 3 snails that Victor brought all KIA. None can survive the water condition then. Really want to kick myself for not doing anything until it is too late. : ( Just did water change and hopefully no major problem coming long weekend. Will also off the lights for this weekend (scare temp to high during the weekend). Cannot be sure about the temp.

Also saw a dead cherry in my shrimp tank at home (maybe due to old age). The malayans are busy feasting on it. I did not bother to take it out and let them eat the dead shrimp. Other than this, no major change.

My nano tank looks ok. The bogwood branches are still soaking in there. I intend to get some java moss from the shrimp tank (got quite a lot of overgrowth) and tie them tonight after I get home or in the weekends. Not sure will they look nice or not. Currently no intention to put any fish or shrimp in the nano tank. Only when the moss grows well then I would consider. Also Jeanxavier also mentioned that the IKEA vase that he bought breaks with the water and airstone pressure. Not sure we are talking about the same vase. Need to take note of this, just in case.

3 comments:

Diki said...

PL lights are those which boast they that can be brighter than their rating. Another name is compact Fluorescent lights if I'm not wrong. Have higher light rating (watts) compared to FL lights. They last longer but light coverage (something like that is not as good as FL). PL light also last longer than FL. Most planted tanks use these.

FL watt rating lower (same size as PL light), cheaper cost and recommended to change every 6 months. Can consider multi T5 (should be thinner FL tubes) in a light set which still does the same as PL light but may be more expensive.

BTW, most people use e-ballast. Do not flicker when turn on. Instant on type. Do take note.

Justikanz said...

2 words, OVER FEEDING... hmm... was is it supposed to be 1 word? :p Nah, you know...

Get the water right first and control the feeding. With shrimps and snails, big water changes should be avoided unless overfeeding occurs.

Diki said...

Welcome to my blog, Justikanz.

I know. Now trying to fix the water first. :( Left only 1 boraras. The shrimp died already. I was thinking of doing 3/4 water change or at least 1/2 water change. If the last fish dies (looks nice since the colour has appeared). I would redo the whole tank again.