Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Death of a leopard cory, rescape of shrimp tank and visit to LFS

I have caused the death of a leopard cory that was given to me by Ah_Zhan! I have forgotten about the inlet pipe does not have any cover and did not cover it up! This cory got stucked in the inlet pipe and passed away there. I was feeling sad when I saw it... : ( I later also opened the 2231 canister filter and found some cherry barbs and a scarlet badis in there. I was wondering if any of my smaller fishes got sucked into the filter and this is my answer. : P What a bad experience! At least now I know need to cover the inlet pipe. Luckily found nothing in the second filter.

Yesterday, with some free time, decided to clean up my shrimp tank from the algae on the glass wall. As I could not find a proper size driftwood to tie the narrow java fern, I have decided to reuse a small driftwood with java moss (was not growing well, except the top moss). Then I placed the newly tied driftwood with narrow java fern with java moss into the shrimp tank. I have also placed a piece of bogwood with java moss into the shrimp tank as well. My wife comments that it looks better now. To protect more shrimplets, I have placed taiwan moss on the subtrate to allow the shrimplets to hide and also cover the subtrate. The shots that I took yesterday was pretty bad so I did not want to post any here. Will post a picture of it when I get better shots. My bumblebee population seems to be down to half (found 1-2 at shrimp tank and seen 1-2 at Planted Tank 1). Looks like bumblebee is not easy for me to keep. Well, $5 down the drain... : P Lucky still got around 4 left. See how it goes.

The Eheim 2231s do have a low humming sound when I on it. Now better now but still have a slight humming sound. Also there are water trapped in the filter and Jus mentioned that it usually clears within a day. Should be ok, I think. Need to check tonight.

Yesterday visited Horizon LFS along Henderson Rd. It was near to a work place that I went so check it out (actually looking for Soon Hock LFS). Found that the shop do sells cheaper fauna (boraras and shrimps) than other LFS. Would visit this shop more often now. : ) Soon Hock LFS was bigger but I do not see any things that interest me so did not ask for price on any items but better display of goods compared to Horizon and more spacious than Horizon. BTW, I also got 10 boraras maculatus from Horizon. The owner (Rocky), mentioned that CRS are easier to keep compared to bumblebee. Anyway, I would try CRS at a later date and see if they can breed in my tank. Not sure to get grade A or B ones as price not different by a lot. Rocky also got his shrimps from local breeders. Hmm... wonder which bro he got them from...

I would be bringing in some boaras maculatus and malayan to my office shrimp tank soon. Maybe tomorrow. Need the malayan to clean up some algae there as well. Then if it is stable enough, would bring in more cherries. I was thinking should I change the driftwood and use a smaller one instead. Also should I get a HOF for the tank. Oh dear, may need to spend $$ again. : P

No comments: