Thursday, September 28, 2006

Planted Tank 2 no more...

Yesterday decided to remove the lapis sand from my Planted Tank 2 since it is also infected with BBA. No matter how much I try to remove it is always there. Also I think the water circulation is bad for this tank since the outlet hose is pointed down instead of towards to inlet.

Anyway, proceed to pump out most of the water from this tank to a spare 2 ft tank and remove all the plants before catching the fishes to be placed in the other tank. Then proceed to remove all the lapis sand and washed/scrubbed the tank. I added the age water and top up some water from this tank is still not even half full. So in the end had to use fresh water treated with GENESIS water conditioner before topping up the tank. Then I also made some changes to the piping for the inlet and outlet pipes to suit my needs instead of using it as it is. After I put in the big piece of driftwood with moss into the tank, the tank becomes so cloudy that I'm worried that I need to change all the water again. Looks like bacteria boom ... Oh it has been a while since I see bacteria boom anyway. : P I turned on the filter and let it do its job and wait. At the meantime, the fishes are still in the other tank without pump and about 3-4 inches of water! After an hour or so, the water cleared (YES!!!) and I proceed to transfer the fishes back to the tank. I have also added the breeder box with spiky moss into this tank. I also threw in the hortwort to take up some nutrients in the water to control algae growth. Might be getting some otos for this tank since there might be algaes later. I do not intent to have rooted plants for this tank but moss/java ferns/nanas on driftwood/bogwood is not impossible since I have excess in the shallow tank. Should be transferring them over to this tank once I have the time. And so, Mission Remove Gravel completed!

I noticed that the tank looks rather bright since the bottom glass reflects the light as well. I'm worried that it might affect my fishes. So I'm thinking of putting a thin layer of black quartz sand or not. Just to reduce this effect. I have not decided yet. May decide on it after placing all the driftwood and bogwood into this tank. No more shrimps now for this tank.

My whiptail pleco used to hid behind the tank sticking on the wall with the water current coming at it. Now I see it sucking on the leaves of my crypts. : ) I think it has passed the stage of getting to know the environment and starting to earn its keeps ... EAT ALGAE.

Hausmann Marketing Aquarium:
Happen to visit this fish farm as I was having a farm visit at Aero-green Technology Pte Ltd opposite it. This is the fish farm at Kranji that I have came before with Weisin and my wife. There is also a feeder bus from Kranji (KranjiExpress) that would take me here. So next time if I want to come, I know where this fish farm is now. Anyway along this stretch of road have many other fish farms but mainly arowanas.

No comments: