Monday, September 04, 2006

Shrimps and rescaping of tanks

Not a good time for me as there has been deaths of my new and old shrimps for the past few days ...

Actually it is my fault. I just realized that the plastic tap that I used to make my DIY CO2 is the main cause of the deaths of my blue shrimps. Looks like the water is too acidic for the shrimps. Almost cause the deaths for my yamotos as well but luckily I found out quick (realized that the yamotos likes to swim to the surface of the water and make a quick water change.

The other is that when I was cleaning the shrimp tank from spot algae, I also got tired of the scape (actually not scape after I just threw in the moss) so decided to rescape the shrimp tank once again. The shrimp tank is full of mulm (has no equipment to clean them as of now) so leave them alone. The rescape have stirred up the stuff and makes the tank cloudy. Then saw a dead cherry in the tank and outside the tank (must have stuck with the moss that I took out to rework on them). Luckily, the rest of the shrimps are fine, including the green shrimps and 2 CRS (just found the other after I thought I have lost 1).

During the reconstruction of my scape, I also decided to put my newly bought EDEN 501 filter to work in my shrimp tank. Now I'm waiting for it to cycle before it will totally replace the Atman HOF. Using the rain bar under the water to provide the current required and more evenly distributed in the tank now. Just removed my sponge filter yesterday as well.

Now on the deaths of my shrimps:
1 x wood shrimp (don't know why it died)
2 x cherry shrimp (mentioned earlier)
2 x green shrimp (Died in the Planted Tank 1. Unknown cause)

MIA:
1 x wood shrimp (cannot locate the other one, maybe it died?)

I have also tried to savage the plants from my BBA infested tank (Planted Tank 2). More of the crypts and other stem plants that are in there. I have transferred some crypts in the shrimp tank and others in the Planted Tank 1. The other plants would likely be floating on the shallow tank before I decide where to plant them. Will be treating my tank with algae remover or those items affected my BBA. I have not decided what I plan to do but bought the algae remover already. Also rescaped the Planted Tank 1 with more crypts and remove the driftwood with limited java moss to the shrimp tank, after I retie my moss on it. Not sure what moss since it is mixed with java, singapore and some taiwan moss. Got quite a bunch of moss for this task actually. : ) Still got some bogwood, driftwood that needs to retie moss on them, since they look so ugly now. : P

No comments: