Friday, September 01, 2006

Back from my Hong Kong trip

Just came back from my trip in Hong Kong and have bought back some Blue shrimps, neon green shrimps and CRS. I actually was worried about bringing them back to Singapore but they are too tempting for me to resist.

Sad news is that the 40 blue shrimps (1 died when I reached home) was completely wipe out when I looked at them in the morning. Was dripping my tank water into the glass container with the original water (a foul smell actually but I thought I should let them get used to my tank water first). Since it takes too long, I decided to wait until morning before I transfer them to my tank but all died. I was so sad and really not much mood for anything else ...

The 5 neon green shrimps (1 died when I got home) that I have got were put into a small container to get used to my tank water as well (water does not have a foul smell). I have put one which was lying on its side but not dead into my shrimp tank to see if it survived. Cannot find it. Should be dead. : ( Luckily the rest survived the night. I also bought 2 grade C CRS (my wife insisted since they look so nice compared to the other shrimps that we saw and the price that they some can fetch (saw a HK$500 one). Both survived and was kept with the neon green shrimps as well. One of them does not turn back to red (brown actually and lost most of the white). I could not find this one anymore.

Here are some shots of my CRS and neon green shrimp.

Close shot of this guy that I can find. From the price, it can only be a grade C.

Another picture of the same CRS.

Another one.

This is one of the neon green shrimp that I have got. Does not look neon yet. Maybe it is just green shrimp???

Another picture of it.

Some equipment that I have bought when I was there:

2 x Eden 501 (Finally got this filter for my 1 ft cube shrimp tank)
1 x mini thermometer
1 x breeder tank
2 x Plants Layout Magazine

Since I have visited the famous Hong Kong Tung Choi Street, I think I should give some feedback for this place.

The 2 rolls of fish shops along this stretch of Tung Choi Street is definitely worth the effort for any aquarium lovers, kids (got cute cats in glass cage so can see them. Attact quite a crowd here). This place is a one stop location to buy all your aquarium needs but since most of the item prices are quite standard, may need to bargin (tried but don't work everytime since I do not talk Cantonese). Definitely equipment here have a lot more varieties than in Singapore. Some brands are unheard of are found here as well. Prices for equipment and some items (driftwood, accessaries to decorate the aquarium is rather cheap compared to Singapore. I have also found that there are quite a number of shops selling plants and shrimps (the shrimp fever seems to be catching up here!). Marine stuff can also be found here but since I'm not into this, cannot comment on them. Shrimps prices seems to be cheaper compared to Singapore.

Shrimps found there are Yamato, blue yamotos, tiger, CRS, Diamond, Bumble bee, blue shrimps (some looks like Malayan Shrimps with a stripe behind the back), neon green shrimps and Wood shrimps (all that I can remember but some names are different so cannot confirm if they are correctly identified)

There are too many fishes found here which I think should be able to find one that you would like. Interesting ones are the pink neon zebra danios (found in Taiwan as well). Price wise is also cheaper compared to Singapore for most small ones. However it seems cruel to pack them into plastic bags for display but makes it ideal for anyone on the go. Not sure if they repack them the next day since I never come here before 9am. But some shops can still be seen open untill close to 11pm (not some guides indicate as 9 pm).

Plants are not too expensive and some plants can be cheaper (my opinion) compared to Singapore. Since the moss names are written in Chinese, I could not make out most of them but some that I think are java moss, spiky and christmas.

As I was too busy with the shopping, I did not take any photos here. Can be found in the AQ forum as someone posted them before. Next trip, will drop by Hong Kong Aquarium Plaza as I could not recall how to get there and was too tired with the shopping and travelling to Macau and playing in Ocean Park. Do drop by there if you got the chance.

No comments: