Monday, September 11, 2006

AQ Farm Excursion Sep 06

I joined the AQ Farm Excursion Sep 06 last Saturday (9 Sept 2006) to visit the fish and plants farms (Qian Hu, Gan's aquairum and Teo's Plant farm) in Lim Chu Kang. I can conclude that it was a enjoyable trip with getting to know the forumers in person. I think in the end most of us got something to go back home to work on. : )

I did not find anything to my liking at Qian Hu but they do stock a wide range of fishes and equipment (the whole Ehiem range of accessories is there) so it is a good place to check out stuff if you want to look for but price should be higher, of course. Gan's Aquarium has limited fish and equipment so did not get anything there. Someone just bought 8 drawf brisk nose pleco to help clear the algae in the tank. I cannot be sure if it is the same one that I had before but it cause holes on the leaves of my plants. Then we went to Teo's plant farm and there, I get myself a Crinum calamistratum (sotong plant is its nick name) and a crypt (tropica). These plants are all now living in my Planted Tank 1 now (the only display planted tank that I have left).

Without my camera, there is no photos I can post here.

Actually now I realize why some people just hated duck weed. It grows so well in my shallow tank that it always attached to my moss when I try to tie them on driftwood/bogwood. I have to manually remove them before tying the moss on the driftwood/bogwood. I intend to give them all to my sister (she keeps goldfish, which I heard is a good diet for them). Well, I think I cannot totally remove all of them but slowly will be able to do that. They reminds me of riccia ... which I had once.

Also I have did some cleanup of the shallow tank for those dead leaves of the java ferns in there. Finally I find some time to do that on Saturday evening.

I have also bought some CPU fans (80mm) at Sim Lim Sqaure (Sim Lim Tower a lot of shops closed when I went there last Sunday. Luckily I found what I need at SLS) for some DIY work to keep the temperature down for my tanks. I have a new design but looking for materials that I can use for this design. Hope to get the materials (if I can decide which one I should get) and try out the new DIY fan soon. Also looking for 1 ft light set (at least 11W) since my 9W desktop lamp is not bright enough for the moss. I have relocate the shrimp tank near the window now in hope the indirect sunlight can help to enhance the growth of my moss in the shrimp tank. See how it goes.

No comments: