Saturday, October 07, 2006

Upgrade plans begins ...

Just saw a picture of Weirong (AQ)'s 3 ft tanks (3 x 2 x 1 ft) for his fish room and it suddenly hit me to have the desire to upgrade to those similar to his, but I got different design for my stand. Actually saw this tank in Polyart (Clementi Block 328). They had a 3 tier 3 ft stand rack at the entrance of their shop now, all using 3 x 2 x 1 ft dimension. For the upgrade plans, here is some plan that I have in mind. I also asked my wife for her approval and she accepts the idea but need to provide her a proposal on the budgeting and what is involved.

Upgrade 3 ft Planted tank plan:
1. Will replace my current 2 x 2 ft planted tanks.
2. Likely will sell off the 2 ft tanks and lights. Not anytime soon.
3. Need to get 3 ft lights if I get the new tanks. Not sure what wattage to get. : P Maybe get the T5 types or may stick to PL or multiple FL.
4. Most important, the tanks! Not sure how much they cost and may need to custom made the stand (materials, layout). Hope it can cost less than $500. Will plan for 2 x 3 ft tanks.
5. Recycling my Ehiem canister 2232/2213 filters so no new purchases for filters. If one of the 2232 is not strong enough, may switch back to 2213 for the bottom one.
6. Need more lapis sand (cheapest). Considering should I get base fertilizer for my tanks.
7. Plants! Most likely 1 tank delicated for moss and also shrimps breeding. The other can use stem plants that I already have or can get from Teo's farm.
8. Fauna would likely still be small fishes (boraras, badis badis, clown killies and those small fishes that I still keep) or slightly larger ones and SHRIMPS. Should be able to get my CRS if I upgrade.
9. All tanks would be low tech. No CO2.
10. Need to save up more for the utility bills as more power used for lights and water.
11. Change water might be a chore so I would also need to think of how to ease the changing water process. Should not be too difficult, I hope. The bathroom is at the other side of the room.

I would likely do it after I feel that my life is more stable. So if not, it would be shelfed until further notice... Hope not!

No comments: