Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Lava rocks and some minor update

I went to look for Vince (near where I live) as he was selling some lava rocks. Found his place and was surprised that he has a fish room as well (actually half, the other half for his wife guinea pigs). Had a nice chat with him and bought 3 lava rocks at $10 from him. I wish I could get all 7 but I have no place for them at home or in my tanks.

I have also placed a box of spiky moss floating on the surface of the bare bottom tank. This tank will be bare bottom from now on to ease the maintenance. Also to have more BB, I have placed a pack of ceramic rings into the tank. With the ceramic rings and 3 lava rocks, I think the BBs should be enough, even if I put back my fishes. Actually the bare bottom tank looks nice with the current setup. Below are the items currently in the tank:

1 IKEA rectangular glass vase (stringy moss with unknown moss)
1 cylindrical vase (stringy moss)
3 lava rocks
1 driftwood with Taiwan moss (looks like java moss grown under low light condition)
1 bogwood with spiky moss
A handful of hortwort
A lunch and breeder box of spiky moss
2 rummy nose
1 cherry barb
1 cardinal
2 leopard corys

I have rescaped the shrimp tank. I was fustrated to not find my shrimps and don't know where they are hiding. So after the rescaping, most of the driftwood/bogwood with moss are leaning on the glass or each other. Actually better for the moss to capture the light and more space for the shrimps to graze and me to see them. I also recently bought another pack of grass shrimps (total 65 of them with some shrimps having eggs but cannot find the eggs anymore. : P). I have divided them into all my 4 tanks.

I have brought another 7 cherry shrimps (I think all males as the females were hiding somewhere were I cannot find them) to the office tank on 10 Oct 06. Hope with the additional of these shrimps, I am able to see more of them as mostly hiding somewhere. They are now in my office tank and I have threw in some fish food which I saw them eating it. 1 grass shrimp died a while back so now the shrimp numbers stays at 12 (9 cherry, 1 yamoto, 2 grass). Realise that the cherries looks more red when in cool water. The java moss seems to be growing well in this tank as can see they are spreading out from the driftwood and bogwood now. Just need some more time for the moss to properly cover the wood.

No comments: