Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Post to update my upgrade tank plans

*** I will keep updating this post to have the latest update ***

I have posted some questions in some forums to get some feedback on what are the equipment , budget and things to consider for my upgrade to 3 ft tanks.

Tank setup:
I want to have 2 x 3 ft low tech planted tanks (top one for shrimps and suitable tankmates with mostly moss) and other as a planted tank likey to cultivate my plants and keep other fishes.

How for the questions:
1. What is a standard size for 3 ft tank? I want black silicon instead of white. What is the recommended size you bros have for your planted tanks?
2. Should I have brace for the 3 ft tank? Is it required? What is it for?
3. What is the recommended thickness for this type of tank?
4. Any advice on what I can save on and what I can recycle for this upgrade? Any bros using similar setup can advice me.
5. Which is better? Wrought iron or wooden stand? I may want to have a cabinet, if I think it is feastible as I would like a height of 60-75 allowance for the bottom tank from the floor.
6. What is the lights required for the 3 ft tank? I was thinking of using PL lights or combination of PL & FL light.
7. Any bros can PM me roughly how much budget I need for this setup?
8. Are fans enough to cool the 3 ft tanks?

Feedback from the forums:
1. Standard tank size (ft) is 3 x 1.5 x 1.5 or 3 x 1 x 1.5
Recommended tank size is 3 X 2 X 2 ft

My take: I'm thinking of getting a 3 x 2 x 2 ft tank for stem plants and fishes and a 3 x 2 x 1.5 ft tank for my shrimps and mosses. This combination should be suitable for my needs.

2. Brace is required for strengthening the tank. Standard tank will come with centre bracing. If you do not like center bracing, discuss with your tank maker and see if bottom bracing can be done. Can go for braceless tank depending on tankmaker as braceless tank cost more or a euro-brace tank, a bit of similar to the braceless tank but with a slightly smaller tank surface opening.

My take: Will have brace for my tanks. Likely be having a center brace. May change my mind later after I talk to the tank makers.

3. 6mm (with bracing), 10mm (without bracing)

My take: At least 6mm. May go for 8-10mm depending on the recommendation from the tank makers.

4. Can recycle most of the stuff but need new lights, gravel (instead of recycling)

My take: Will be getting 2 new light sets, gravel, bogwood/driftwood, plants, maybe AC fans ...

5. wrought iron - might rust
wooden (chengai - recommended or kapuh) - might warp, but can choose colour to match the furniture.

My take: More towards wrought iron stand compared to wooden stand. Price is the main factor here as well.

6. 2 sets of 4 x 39w HO T5 light tube with parabolic reflector
Choose PL or FL so don't need to buy 2 sets of light tubes. (Good suggestion!)

My take: 2 sets of 2 x 55W PL light since this I can get around 1.2 watt/gallon. Should be able to use for most of my plants.

7. New 3ft tank and stand should put you down $400. Custom making might increase the cost and having another tank adds up to the cost.

My take: None at the moment

8. Fans are enough for a 3 ft tank. Got suggestion for chiller but no plans and ventilation problem in the dinning room so it is out!

My take: Will either DIY (got a 120mm CPU fan but no clip) or buy AC fans (around $23).

So far, these are what I have gathered ...

No comments: