Sunday, June 04, 2006

All tank updates ... Got good news and bad...

I was cleaning my shrimp tank glass wall (got quite a bit algae on it) and finally got to clean them off. The snails are not doing their job well for this (hates them!). No use at all! At least my cherry shrimps are growing well and breeding like rabbits! : D Still can see small shrimplets now and then. I have previously seen 2 malayan eating a cherry. Looks like they have not been eating well since I do not feed the shrimps much, only fish food leftover from the boraras feeding. It stuck me that with the population so big, sure need to provide them food so I started feeding them algae wafers. Feeds them 1 pc per day. Need to break up into smaller pieces to allow more shrimps to get some food. Shrimps do not like to share and likes to snatch food from each other! Also I put in more moss (Taiwan and Weeping moss) into this tank to allow shrimplets to have more hiding space from the boraras (those transferred from Planted Tank 1 mostly is still here). Below are some pictures of the updated shrimp tank.

Front view

Side view

3 Dimension view (learn from Amano)

I think the shrimp tank looks better now. I think my shrimps and fishes are enjoying it. : )

Yesterday, after had a arguement with my wife on this hobby, I have removed all the Singapore moss (now in shallow tank), 1 pc of lava rock and bogwood (now in shallow tank), stone with java moss (now in shallow tank) and nano tank (on my TV console now). This is to make the living room less cluttered. Also I removed all the money plant on the shallow tank. Reason being the money plants grows too well but they affects the growth of moss and java ferns in the shallow tank. So they had to be removed. : P Also I did some maintenance on the shallow tank and found water "slugs" in the tank. They are usually found in poorly maintained tanks. Oops! Below is a picture of 2. Actually found 3, which 1 of them is very fat!

See the fat one on the right? The left one is the smaller one. BTW, the round and yellow stuff is actually the jelly that snails laid eggs in them. Had to clear so many of them! : (

I have relocated the 2 leopard corys into the shallow tank (RHS) to join the guppies and kuhli loaches. Hopefully I can feed both bottom feeders better in the same tank. I have also removed all the decorations for the shallow tank (wooden boards). At least I can see what is happening in the tank which IMO, is a better option. At least I can monitor the fishes inside this tank from now on. Should have done it long ago.

Now posting a updated picture of the Planted Tank 1. Not much changes to this tank, except would be using different filters in the coming week.

Picture of Planted Tank 1

I have found that algae (BBA) growing on the driftwood and crypts. I can only cut off the BBA from the plants but have no idea how to remove from the driftwood without removing the nanas and java fern. I have also relocated the plants in this tank with additional of new crypts (not sure what is the name now. Will update it later). Just removed all the plants on the driftwood and leaving it to dry. The tank looks quite bare now. Below is the picture before the "construction in progress".


Oh, yes. This tank is also changing its filter as well. With the change in filter, the light would have better coverage over the whole tank now. However with the high bioload, need to ensure that the Eheim 2231 has enough BB before cutting over to using it only. Wife also complaining when I can switch over using the new filters and decommissioning the old ones. Patience...

No comments: