Saturday, July 21, 2007

Major shifting works done!

Today, with the encouragement and wonderful assistance from my wife, I have managed to do what I have wanting to do for a while... Shift my tanks! More pictures would be added later on when I got time to take more to show you all what I mean.

Actually the main reason is actually that my dining room is rather dark, especially at night. Since I 'm keeping planted tanks (need to on my lights, 55W and 36W everyday for a while for 2 tanks), I wish to utilize them to brighten up my dining room. Initially both tanks are at one corner of the dining room. That area is bright enough but the side near the main door and kitchen is rather dark. My plan was to get a cupboard and then transfer my Planted Tank 1 (the nicer of the 2) to the side in front of the main door. The other side with still have the Planted Tank 2 but now located at the top of the metal rack.

My search for for the cupboard finally ended when I went to Helping Hand (near Kovan MRT) to look at some teak furniture. I finally found my cupboard that I really liked. Actually it is a TV console but it is perfect for my needs. I actually got a shoe rack as well from them. These 2 items were delivered recently to my house since I need to wait for a new shipment for the cupboard.

Well, to keep it short, I had shifted the Planted Tank 1 to the new cupboard this afternoon. The canister filter is now located outside the cupboard as I need to touch up the vanish on the inside cupboard due to removal of the board that divides the compartment in the cupboard. The other tank was shifted up in the evening. I have now put the canister under the tank and with less wires and electrical stuff, the corner looks a lot neater now. I wonder why I never thought of this before. Hmm.... Just to lazy I guess. : P

Ok. With that I shall end the long 'talk' and show you some pictures that I have taken just now.

The main actor is the yamoto shrimp in the center of the picture. If you click on the enlarge picture, you will see it actually holds 3 pieces of fish food at its claws... Are you really that hungry?

This is the updated picture of the Planted Tank 1. It is still affected by green hair algae and I have been manually removing them. I also noticed that the java fern are turning yellow for some leaves. Looks like not enough nutrient for them. Just added liquid fertilizer after the shift. I have also transfered 3 rummy noses, 2 cardinal tetra and 1 white cloud mountain into this tank to provide more fertilizer for the plants!

This is the Planted Tank 2 that I have shifted up the metal rack. It is still a bit cloudy as the 'dust' has not fully settled down. As I'm typing, it should clear by now. There are limited plants here now as the spiky moss that I had here all got infested with hair algae. I have threw all of them away. : ( I will be bring in some plants from my shallow tank by the window. Likely tomorrow as I will also be bringing all the adult guppies here as well.

No comments: