Thursday, November 23, 2006

Tank maintenance

After coming back from my ICT, found that my 3 tanks are not in a good shape...

The 2 ft Planted Tank seems to have dead leaves and the overgrown of some stem plants.

The 2 ft Bare Bottom Tank's hortwort are dying for some parts (maybe not getting enough light since the right hand corner is a blind spot for the light. My wife has been complaining that the dead leaves of the hortwort are choking the inlet pipe and suspected causing the slow outflow of the canister filter. Actually it is caused by choking of the media and need to clean it.

The 1 ft cube Shrimp Tank was badly infested with green hair algae. Most of the moss in there are affected. Also the flowrate of the Eden 501 is almost gone so I think the filter media is choked somewhere and also needs cleaning up.

So sad after coming back from ICT and so many things to do and fix... : (

So I have cleaned all the canister filters for the above tanks this evening. It was hard work man, cleaning so many canister filters. I have found some shrimps in the canister filter and had a hard time trying to catch those buggers since they swim so fast and also not to mention that they are small!!! I have also removed the moss with bogwood that are infected badly with green hair algae and removed most of them (with my moss) and threw away the infected moss. : ( Then place them in the Bare Bottom Tank to quarantine for while.

Will leave the cleaning of my Planted Tank tomorrow.

Also found that a badis badis that had a sunken stomach. It must not have any food for a while and still do not want to eat the fish food that I have put in. Looks like it would be dead soon. : ( These fishes are really fussy eaters!!!

No comments: